Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Year's Challenge: 11 in 2011

So, I usually don't make New Year's resolutions. I mean, sure, every year I say I'm going to lose 10 lbs, travel more, learn a new skill, etc... but my problem is, I never have my whole heart in it. Therefore, every year on December 31st I usually have nothing checked off my very generic resolution list. I hope this year is going to be different. I've decided to really challenge myself, and I've come up with my 11 in 2011 plan:

Basically, I'm challenging myself to produce 11 complete paintings this year. They don't have to be masterpieces, or great, or even good. They just have to be finished. I think forcing myself into the studio with a deadline will give me much-needed motivation and practice for when real commissions come along. Why 11? Well, aside from the fact that it has a nice ring to it ("11 in 2011"), it's a number that I think will be reasonable and doable. I would have decide on 12, one per month, except I know when high season picks up, I'll have at least one month in which I'll be giving too many tours to even think about painting. So 11 works... it's ambitious by my lazy standards, but not overwhelming.

Right now I'm mostly thinking in terms of self-portraits (I'm a cheap and available model) and paintings from reference pics I've taken in the past. But I've got some great new ideas, and hopefully I can get models soon. One self-portrait is already on my easel, about half completed, so I guess I'm off to a pretty good start :)

Here's to a great New Year and reaching all our personal goals this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment